Loop from Windsor, Ontario
Erie Shores is a week-long bicycle tour first held in 2000. The ride is a loop that starts and ends in Windsor, Ontario. We'll be riding in southwestern Ontario's lake district.
We meet in downtown Windsor on a Sunday for the start of the ride and accommodation that night is part of the package.
Quiet Country Roads
Cyclists travel the shores of Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair, as well as the Thames and Detroit Rivers. It's mostly a farm district with quiet country roads on an old alluvial plain that is very flat.Availability Register
Explore by Bicycle
Leaving Windsor on the Monday morning, we follow the shorelines of Lake. St. Clair and the Thames River to Chatham for our first overnight stay. From there, we go north to Sarnia and the southernmost section of Lake Huron. Along the way we pass through Petrolia, the town that started the oil industry in North America. During the week you will see many of those distinctive oil well pumps and some have been operating for more than 100 years. In lakeshore districts we'll travel through long-established summer cottage neighborhoods as we roll past waterfront vistas. From Sarnia we take a loop back to Chatham and then go south across Essex County to the shores of Lake Erie.
Tomatoes and Wine
Agriculture is the main industry through much of southwestern Ontario. Tomatoes are a major crop. Tobacco used to be big, but grapes for wine have moved into the agricultural limelight. Leamington is the main supply centre for tomato farms and the Big Tomato is the town's tourist attraction. You will have a chance to explore some of the local vineyards and wineries. We have an overnight stay in Kingsville, which is the hub of the wine industry.
This area was a destination for the underground railway, the migration route for African-Americans escaping slavery. The man who was the inspiration for Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin lived in Dresden, a village north of Chatham. The Baptist church in Amherstburg, on the Detroit River, was a destination on the Underground Railroad and it now is a national historic site.
Terrain is really easy on this trip. The biggest hills in Essex County are the freeway overpasses.
Tour Summary Dates and Fees
- Windsor, Ontario to Windsor, Ontario
- Dates: August 27 to September 1, 2017
- Fees are per person in Canadian funds
|Optional Single Supplement||$425.00||$55.25||$480.25|
- Total amount includes Registration Fee ($150.00) and Deposit ($150.00) which are non-refundable (please refer to our cancellation policy)
- Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). There is a discount of 50% of the HST amount for non-Canadian residents (applicable on Tour fee only, not options .
- Single room option may be limited. We are not able guarantee ensuite bathrooms.
Accommodation & Meals
- Nights indoor — 6 nights
- 1 dinner and 5 breakfasts
Distances and Rating
- Riding days —5
- Total distance by bike 475km (295 mi.)
- Daily average — 95 km (59 mi.)
- Longest day — 115 km (71 mi.)